Website Cabinet Office
This is an exciting opportunity to work at the heart of government as Private Secretary to the Prime Minister. This will involve you advising on a wide range of issues, handling situations on their behalf, facilitating business between Downing Street and Departments, developing policies and setting strategy, organising and conducting meetings, events and visits. The successful candidate will be an expert in the field, strategic, have strong and concise communication skills, and be able to prioritise – responsible for multiple issues concurrently. They will be a strong and respected leader, able to work collegiately and collaboratively with all.
- Ensuring that policy is presented in a compelling and persuasive manner and that policy and delivery is integrated into the wider Government agenda.
- Ensuring that the Prime Minister’s day-to-day business is transacted efficiently and in a timely manner.
- Working with the Downing Street Policy Unit, Cabinet Office, Departments and others to develop new policy proposals — underpinning them with evidence, probing and identifying the reputational, implementation and financial risks, resolving differences, and negotiating solutions.
- Arranging and preparing meetings and announcements, including briefing the Prime Minister and recording outcomes.
- Working with colleagues in No 10 and Cabinet Office to ensure that there is a coherent and sensible set of steers going to the Prime Minister and to Departments.
- Ensuring a prompt and effective response to crisis scenarios relating to home affairs.
- Working flexibly as pressures require and acting as a link between Private Offices across Whitehall to identify, coordinate and successfully resolve emerging issues.
- Ensuring that the Prime Minister is well sighted and that his views are taken into account across the areas covered.
- Inclusive leadership skills and the ability to motivate and manage a diverse team to deliver at pace on a demanding and complex agenda
- Highly developed policy and evaluation skills to question and provide fresh ideas across a broad range of policy and in response to break in events.
- The ability to work at pace in a complex cross-departmental environment, driving progress in the face of a range of different views and priorities.
- Highly developed communication, networking and negotiation skills.
- Personal effectiveness and credibility to work at a senior level across Whitehall, giving advice to the PM and a clear lead to Whitehall.
- A proven track record of recently working closely with senior ministers and special advisers, and the ability to get to the heart of political priorities and translate them into policy development.
Company: Cabinet Office
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: London, England, UK
Application Deadline: N/A